Lemon Rice is a simple and tasty dish; it is easily digested and suitable for all constitutions.
Lemon Rice (Chitrānna)
Preparation – 30 minutes
Serves 3 – 4
Use heaped measurements except when stated otherwise.
1 cup/200g white basmati rice
2 cups/500ml water
1 large/150g carrot
2 tsp ginger, grated
½ cup/40g dried shredded coconut
1 tsp fine rock salt
1 tsp jaggery
1 -2 Tbsp lemon juice
¼ cup coriander leaves, chopped
¼ cup/60ml peanut or coconut oil
½ tsp black mustard seeds
2 tsp split channa dāl
1 tsp split urad dāl
⅛ tsp asafoetida powder
10 cashew nuts, cut in half
1 dried red chili, chopped
1 tsp cumin seeds
10 curry leaves
⅛ tsp turmeric powder
1. Wash rice until water runs clear, drain, add water, bring to boil, then reduce the heat to maintain a rapid simmer. Simmer uncovered for 8 – 10 minutes, or until water has evaporated. Turn off heat, cover and set aside to cool.
2. Grate carrot- measuring 1 tightly packed cup. Measure out remaining ingredients. Set aside.
3. In a skillet, heat oil, add mustard seeds; when the seeds turn grey and pop, turn down the heat, add channa and urad dāl – fry for a few seconds, then add asafoetida, cashew, chili and cumin – fry until dāl is golden-brown. Add curry leaves and turmeric – continue to fry for a few seconds.
4. Add carrot, ginger, coconut, salt, jaggery and lemon juice – cook for 6 minutes, or until carrot is soft. Turn off the heat.
5. Add cooled rice and coriander. Combine using the right hand, to ensure the rice is mixed well with the spices.
6. Taste and adjust the seasonings, adding salt, jaggery or lemon.
With raita and pickle. Suitable daily, morning or evening, in all seasons.
Replace carrot with capsicum.