Lemon Rice is a simple and tasty dish; it is easily digested and suitable for all constitutions.
Use heaped measurements except when stated otherwise.
Preparation – 30 minutes
Serves 3 – 4
1 cup/200g white basmati rice
2 cups/500ml water
1 large/150g carrot
2 tsp ginger, grated
½ cup/40g dried shredded coconut
1 tsp fine rock salt
1 tsp jaggery
1 -2 Tbsp lemon juice
¼ cup coriander leaves, chopped
¼ cup/60ml peanut or coconut oil
½ tsp black mustard seeds
2 tsp split channa dāl
1 tsp split urad dāl
1 dried red chili, chopped
10 cashew nuts, cut in half
1 tsp cumin seeds
10 curry leaves
⅛ tsp asafoetida powder
⅛ tsp turmeric powder
1. Wash rice until water runs clear, drain, add water, bring to boil, then reduce the heat to maintain a rapid simmer. Simmer uncovered for 8 – 10 minutes, or until water has evaporated. Turn off heat, cover and set aside to cool.
2. Grate carrot- measuring 1 tightly packed cup. Measure out remaining ingredients. Set aside.
3. In a skillet, heat oil, add mustard seeds; when the seeds turn grey and pop, turn down heat, add channa and urad dāl – fry for a few seconds, then add chili, cashews and cumin – fry until dāl is golden-brown. Add curry leaves, asafoetida and turmeric – continue to fry for a few seconds.
4. Add carrot, ginger, coconut, salt, jaggery and lemon juice – cook for 6 minutes, or until carrot is soft. Turn off the heat.
5. Add cooled rice and coriander. Combine using right hand, to ensure the rice is mixed well with the spices.