Lemon Rice is a simple and tasty dish; it is easily digested and suitable for all constitutions.
Use heaped measurements except when stated otherwise.
Preparation – 30 minutes
Serves 3 – 4
1 cup/200g white basmati rice
2 cups/500ml water
1 large/150g carrot
2 tsp ginger, grated
½ cup/40g dried shredded coconut
1 tsp fine rock salt
1 tsp jaggery
1 -2 Tbsp lemon juice
¼ cup coriander leaves, chopped
¼ cup/60ml peanut or coconut oil
½ tsp black mustard seeds
2 tsp split channa dāl
1 tsp split urad dāl
1 dried red chili, chopped
10 cashew nuts, cut in half
1 tsp cumin seeds
10 curry leaves
⅛ tsp asafoetida powder
⅛ tsp turmeric powder
1. Wash rice until water runs clear, drain, add water, bring to boil, then reduce the heat to maintain a rapid simmer. Simmer uncovered for 8 – 10 minutes, or until water has evaporated. Turn off heat, cover and set aside to cool.
2. Grate carrot- measuring 1 tightly packed cup. Measure out remaining ingredients. Set aside.
3. In a skillet, heat oil, add mustard seeds; when the seeds turn grey and pop, turn down heat, add channa and urad dāl – fry for a few seconds, then add chili, cashews and cumin – fry until dāl is golden-brown. Add curry leaves, asafoetida and turmeric – continue to fry for a few seconds.
4. Add carrot, ginger, coconut, salt, jaggery and lemon juice – cook for 6 minutes, or until carrot is soft. Turn off the heat.
5. Add cooled rice and coriander. Combine using right hand, to ensure the rice is mixed well with the spices.
6. Taste and adjust the seasonings, adding salt, jaggery or lemon.
With raytha and pickle. Suitable daily, morning or evening, in all seasons.