Pepper Tambuli, is cooling for the body and facilitates digestion. Appropriate for all constitutions and considered a very satisfying dish for the evening meal. Those experiencing kapha imbalances such as coughing, running nose, etc., use this dish in moderation.
Preparation – 10 minutes
1 cup/250g full-fat milk yogurt
1½ cups/375ml water
½ tsp salt
1 tsp melted ghee
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp whole black peppercorns
¼ cup/20g dried shredded coconut
½ cup/125ml warm water
1 tsp ghee
½ tsp mustard seeds
½ tsp cumin seeds
⅛ tsp turmeric powder
6 fresh curry leaves
1. Whisk the yogurt for 1 minute.
2. Add water, whisking until well combined. Add salt – set aside.
3. In a small pan over medium heat, heat ghee, add cumin seeds and peppercorns, fry until the seeds are golden-brown.
4. Turn off the heat, add coconut and warm water – stir and pour into blender.
5. Blend until smooth – approximately 1 minute. Combine with yogurt. Set aside.
6. Heat remaining ghee, add mustard seeds; when seeds start to pop, add cumin, curry leaves and turmeric powder – fry for 30 seconds, swish or stir to fry spices evenly. Turn off the heat.
7. Use some yogurt mixture to swish voggarane out of the pan.
8. Pour into yogurt – mix well.
With 1 – 2 cups rice.