Healthy for all constitutions, this juice eliminates constipation, reduces heat in the body and keeps both the body and mind cool and calm. Balances vāta and pitta. For those suffering from kapha imbalance, consume with the main meal, alternatively add a pinch of black pepper powder to reduce kapha. Can be consumed in all seasons. In Winter, it is recommended not to consume more than twice a week, while in Summer it may be consumed 3 times a week.
Pre-preparation – 10 hours
Preparation – 5 minutes
Serves 4 – 6
½ cup/100g whole moong dāl (green gram)
¾ cup/150g brown sugar/jaggery
4 cups/1-litre water
3 cardamom pods (¼ tsp)
1. Soak dāl overnight in water, 10-12 hours.
2. Rinse and drain – set aside.
3. Grind cardamom seeds to a coarse powder. Set aside.
4. Blend dāl, cardamom, sugar and water on high speed for 1 minute or until smooth.
5. Enjoy 1 – 2 glasses (200-300ml).