A tasty combination of three vegetables, this semi-liquid dish is suitable for all constitutions, strengthening the body.
Preparation – 1 hour
Serves 3 – 4
All spoon measurements are heaped unless otherwise stated.
1 large/220g potato
1¼ cup/170g green beans
2 medium/160g carrots
½ cup/100g toor dal
4 cups/1-litre water
1 Tbsp peanut or coconut oil
1 Tbsp split channa dāl (bengal gram)
1 tsp split urad dāl (black gram)
2 tsp flat whole black peppercorns
⅛ tsp asafoetida powder
30 curry leaves – divided
¼ tsp turmeric powder
1 cup/250ml water – divided
½ cup/40g dried shredded coconut
1 tsp fine rock salt
1. Cut all vegetables into small uniformed pieces. Set aside.
2. Wash dāl several times until water runs clear, drain, add water, bring to the boil, then reduce heat to maintain a rapid simmer, uncovered for 10 minutes.
3. Add vegetables, stir regularly, simmer until the vegetables are soft and the dāl has broken down – 30 minutes, may take longer depending on the type of toor dāl.
4. While dāl cooks, measure out the spices for the voggarane.
5. In a small pan over medium-high heat, heat oil, add channa and urad dāl, black peppercorns and asafoetida powder, fry, stirring until the peppercorns sizzle and both dāls are golden-brown – approximately 2 minutes. Add 20 curry leaves and turmeric powder – stirring for 30 more seconds.
6. Turn off heat and stir in coconut (this will help the spices to cool down.)
Grind coconut-spice mixture
7. In blender add coconut mixture with ¾ cup warm water (use some water to swish voggarane pan.)
8. Grind until smooth – 1 minute. Make sure the coconut is well ground, this plays an important role in the overall consistency of this dish.
9. Add to dāl and vegetables, use the remaining water to swish blender clean.
10. Add salt, remaining 10 curry leaves and mix well, simmer for 5 minutes, stir occasionally – turn off the heat. Let sit few minutes to thicken.
With rice, chapati, or rotti. When serving with rice, add extra water. Suitable day or night, in all seasons.
Replace peppercorn with 1 dried red chilli.