1. Chop beans into small uniformed pieces. Measure out the remaining ingredients – set aside.
2. In a skillet, over medium-high heat, heat oil, add mustard seeds; when seeds turn grey and pop, turn down the heat, add channa and urad dāl, chili, cumin and asafoetida – fry until both dāl are golden-brown. Add curry leaves and turmeric – fry for a few seconds.
3. Add beans, water, salt and jaggery – stir to combine.
4. Simmer rapidly over medium heat until beans are soft – approximately 15 minutes.
5. Turn off the heat, add coconut and coriander. Let sit for 5 minutes to enhance flavors. Taste, adding more salt or jaggery, as needed.
Daily, with rice or chapati. Also with pepper rasam or tovve. Suitable morning or evening, in all seasons.
When serving with rice, add lemon juice at end of preparation.